IsraPundit

WE'VE MOVED! IsraPundit has relocated to www.israpundit.com. Click here to go there now.
News and views on Israel, Zionism and the war on terrorism.

June 05, 2003

The Bush record, for the record

In his Aqaba speech On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, Bush pledged as follows:

Today America is strongly committed, and I am strongly committed, to Israel's security as a vibrant Jewish state.
If I were an Israeli, would I sleep better with this double "strongly committed"? Or would I remember other "strongly committed" by Bush. Here is an example, quoted from Jvibe
"[If elected president, I will] begin the process of moving the US ambassador to the city Israel chooses as its capital."
(Bush's speech at B'nai B'rith International Convention 2000, Washington, DC 8/28/00)

"As a general proposition around the world, we have located our embassy where the host country has its capital. And Israel is one of the few places where we haven't done that, and I think it's probably time, although with - recognize the fact that it is a very delicate moment in terms of Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, and I think you have to take that into account."
(Cheney on NBC's Meet the Press, 7/30/00)

"Bush believes that the embassy's rightful place is in Jerusalem, and if it is not transferred during Clinton's presidency, then it will be during Bush's."
(Condoleeza Rice, Bush's foreign policy advisor, on Army Radio 8/15/00)

So, the answer to my question is this: Considering Bush's record (and, to paraphrase Shakespeare, "Bush is an honourable man"), the last Aqaba statement would not make my sleep any sounder, if I were an Israeli.

For an extensive list of quotations on the topic, also see the site of NJDC.