WE'VE MOVED! IsraPundit has relocated to Click here to go there now.
News and views on Israel, Zionism and the war on terrorism.

December 11, 2002

This is how low they stoop

On Monday, December 9, 2002, IMRA reported the arrest of the Palestinian-Arab sniper who targeted the 10-month old Shalhevet Pass while she was sitting in her stroller; Shalhevet was murdered:
The ISA, along with IDF forces, recently arrested Tanzim militant Mahmud Muhammad Mahmud Amro, 26, a resident of Wadi Alhariah/Hebron. During questioning, he admitted perpetrating the 26 March 2001 murder of 10-month-old Shalhevet Pass.
Shalhevet, seated in her stroller, was going with her parents to visit her grandparents in the Avraham Avinu neighborhood in Hebron. A Palestinian sniper opened fire from the Abu Sneneh neighborhood on the hill opposite. Shalhevet was fatally wounded by a shot to the head. Her father, Yitzhak, was moderately wounded in both legs.
Following the murder, Amro was detained by the Palestinian Police, but was released shortly afterwards.

Amro has also been involved in numerous attacks in the Hebron area in the past two years.
This heinous crime joins a long list of abominable acts which includes the lynching of two Israeli reservists in Ramallah on October 12, 2000. This incident was reported by the Jerusalem Post on October 13, 2000, as follows:
The two reservists received their call up notice on Wednesday and set off by car to their base from the coastal region. Instead of travelling on the Ramallah bypass road, they reached the Ofer Base near Givat Ze'ev and drove in the direction of Beituniya. Meters later they were stopped at a Palestinian Police roadblock near the Prince School.

According to a senior IDF officer, the two were escorted in their car to the local police station. "It is not clear why the Palestinian policemen did not tell them to turn around and guide them in the right direction, instead of taking them into Ramallah," he said.

Shortly before 10, Israeli security officials received word from "various sources" that the two were being held at the station. "Immediately a harsh message was conveyed to the PA security services, informing them that we hold them directly responsible for the soldiers' well-being and fate," said a senior IDF commander.

Word of the soldiers' detention spread quickly and a mob, most returning from the funeral of a Palestinian killed in clashes, converged on the station. They quickly pushed back Palestinian policemen and beat the two soldiers to death.

An Italian TV crew filmed the attack, which showed them tossing the body of one soldier out of the second-story window to the ground, where another mob continued to beat him.
(This incident was also reported by the IDF).

The courage and objectivity of the international media was demonstrated anew when the Italian reporter who was involved in filming the lynching apologized to the Palestinians in an ad he took out in the PA paper. This part of the incident was documented by the Government of Israel. The text of the grovelling ad alluded to reads as follows:
Special Clarification by the Italian Representative of RAI, the Official Italian Television Station

My dear friends in Palestine. We congratulate you and think that it is our duty to put you in the picture (of the events) of what happened on October 12 in Ramallah. One of the private Italian television stations which competes with us (and not the official Italian television station RAI) filmed the events; that station filmed the events. Afterwards Israeli Television broadcast the pictures, as taken from one of the Italian stations, and thus the public impression was created as if we (RAI) took these pictures.

We emphasize to all of you that the events did not happen this way, because we always respect (will continue to respect) the journalistic procedures with the Palestinian Authority for (journalistic) work in Palestine and we are credible in our precise work.

We thank you for your trust, and you can be sure that this is not our way of acting. We do not (will not) do such a thing.

Please accept our dear blessings.

Ricardo Christiano
Representative of RAI in the Palestinian Authority
(the official Italian station)
(Note: On June 25, 2001, Israel announced the arrest of two of the terrorists who were involved in the lynching. See official Israel site.)

Another example of conduct beyond the pale is the consistent use of ambulances for terrorism. For example, on March 27, 2002, the Jerusalem Post reported:
Reserve soldiers stationed south of Ramallah this morning stopped a Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance and, upon inspection, found a suspected suicide bomber on board.

The Palestinian man was reportedly wanted by the Shin Bet, Israel's internal security agency, for suspected participation in terror-related activities.

During an initial on-site investigation, the man said he had hidden an explosive device inside the ambulance.

Sappers were dispatched to the scene to examine the ambulance, Israel Radio reported.

Four days later, on March 31, 2002, the Palestinian Arabs did even better, as reported by the Jerusalem Post:
A suicide bomber blew himself up at an ambulance station in the Gush Etzion community of Efrat, southeast of Bethlehem, a few minutes ago.

Of the four wounded, one was in serious condition, police spokesman Rafi Yaffe said.

At least some of the wounded were members of a mobile intensive care unit that was operating outside the ambulance station at the time, medics said.

The attack took place near a shopping center at the heart of the community.
Another use of ambulances for terrorism was reported in January 2002 and documented by IDF:
On 27 January 2002 Wafa Idris, a young Palestinian volunteer of the Red Crescent, detonated in the center of Jerusalem an explosive charge she was carrying. In this attack, the first one perpetrated by a female suicide bomber, one Israeli was killed and some 150 were wounded.
Related to this issue are the incidents in which the Palestinian Arabs opened fire on an Israeli ambulance, as reported on November 27, 2002 by Arutz 7:
Arab gunmen shot at an IDF ambulance today near N'vei Dekalim. No one was hurt, but the ambulance was damaged.
On April 1, 2002, Arutz 7 reported yet another related story:
Chief of IDF Planning Branch Maj.-Gen. Giora Eiland revealed yesterday an incident in which Palestinian Red Crescent Society ambulances were exploited by the Arabs for non-emergency purposes. Following a gun battle between IDF forces and Arab troops within Yasser Arafat's Ramallah headquarters, PLO officials requested that Israel allow a Red Crescent Ambulance to enter the compound in order to evacuate two wounded gunmen to a nearby hospital. Israel agreed to this demand on humanitarian grounds. Upon the vehicle's exit, Israeli forces inspected it. Inside they found fourteen healthy Arabs along with the two wounded men, who were trying to smuggle themselves out of the besieged building.
Another appalling act committed by the Palestinian Arabs concerns the story of Ann-Marie Murphy. This incident was summarized (with sources) in a CitCUN article posted on July 21, 2002. The Ottawa Citizen run a story on the same incident on November 4, 2001, from which the following paragraphs are cited:
On the morning of April 17, 1986, Anne-Marie Murphy arrived by taxi at London's Heathrow airport to catch El Al Flight 16 for Tel Aviv. A pleasant-looking Dublin girl, Murphy was six months pregnant and probably brimming with excitement. Her boyfriend and the father of her baby, an Arab named Nezar Hindawi, had finally proposed marriage, insisting that the ceremony be held in the "holy land" of Israel. It was an exotic proposition for Murphy. She worked as a housekeeper at the Hilton Hotel in London, and had met Hindawi a year and a half earlier when he had stayed as a guest. On the day of her flight, Hindawi accompanied her to the airport. He himself was not flying. He had business to take care of, he said, and would join her in Israel later that week.
A search of her luggage revealed several pounds of plastic explosives, equipped with a timing device hidden in a calculator. The bomb was set to detonate at 1:04 p.m., when Murphy and her 350 fellow passengers would have been high over the Mediterranean. It was clear Murphy had no knowledge of the plot, nor did she know her fiance was an agent of the Syrian government. She appeared as a witness at Hindawi's trial and, in an courtroom outburst, cried to him: "How could you do this to me?" An English judge sentenced Hindawi to 45 years in prison. As he was led to his cell, he smiled and flashed a V-for-victory sign.
[This story is not available on the Web but can be retrieved from Lexis-Nexis.)

This is the caliber of the people the EU/UN supports with unrelenting zeal.

Contributed by Joseph Alexander Norland. This piece is cross-posted on IsraPundit and Dawson Speaks.